I've been tag-ed!
1. One book that changed your life: Sir Gibbie. This is by George MacDonald. It isn't particularly good, but contains a hero who is totally selfless. When I read this, as a small child, it created the deep impression that doing good was...good. Not that I took it to heart, or anything.
2. One book that you've read more than once: The Brothers Karamazov... Hasn't everyone?
3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Finnegan's Wake! I could have so much fun deciphering it, spending hours pouring over the particular words and finding intricate patterns!
4. One book that made you laugh: The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart.
5. One book that made you cry: That is a very personal question. I'm affronted!
6. One book that you wish had been written: Listen to Benny by M. Madeline Montgomery.
"When a Brother is Ordered to Do Impossible Things
If anything hard or impossible is enjoined upon a brother, let him receive the injunctions of him who orders him in all mildness and obedience. If he shall see that the burden altogether exceeds the measure of his strength, let him patiently and at the proper time state, without show of pride, resistance, or contradiction, the reason for this impossibility. If, after his suggestions, the will of the superior shall still remain unchanged, let the subordinate monk know that this is best for him and, trusting in God's help, through love of Him, let him obey." -Rule of St. Benedict
7. One book that you wish had never been written: How about the genre of contemporary feminist philosophy (gender is a construct, etc.)? I had to read that drivel for a philosophy course and the stuff was so outrageously wrong and not-at-all-thought-provoking. In a gesture of supreme contempt, and to leave my beloved bookcase entirely uncontaminated, I uh. permanently removed the works of feminist philosophy. Not because I'm against feminism, but because those writings were anti-feminist...ic...
8. One book you're currently reading: The Eustace Diamonds, by Trollope.
9. One book you've been meaning to read: Everything. Twice.
Now. I invite anyone who is interested to Do This Meme.