Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Fun-Filled 10 Minutes

My walk down two blocks of Telegraph Avenue and then through the Berkeley Campus was significantly eventful this afternoon. Much happened in just 10 minutes!

First, I passed by the ex-hippie who had some bottle-glasses on, a white curly beard, selling fabric patches with a sign up above them that read 'wiretap this.' He was singing to the song on the radio which had a rock beat and whose lyrics were "I can act like a woman if I want to."

Second, the homeless man, as I passed by, starting asking for money but switched to "Heeeeeeellllllllllloooooooooooooooo Dolly!" I wasn't sure what the proper etiquette was for thanking him, so I ducked by.

Third, a group of African-American men were trying to sell some records, and one of them, who was well-muscled and had removed his shirt," complained "MAN. I can't sell these things even if I show some skin!" No. No, you can't.

Fourth, a homeless man gave me a hug because I gave him two dollars. I initially only gave him one, but he jabbed his finger at my purse and said that I had tons of money, could I give him a loan which - on his honor - he would pay back? Somehow persuaded, I gave him another dollar.

Fifth (not on Telegraph Avenue), about three students were protesting some action of the UC Regents. They'd set up a huge banner in a tree and were holding smoke bombs.

Fun!

No comments: