Wednesday, October 15, 2008

One Mass forYou. And One Mass for Me. Step Away.

Bubbling away in my subconscious, I've been aware that dissatisfied noises are made about the disunity of the "Traditional" liturgical calendar and the "Novus Ordo" liturgical calendar. The former operates using a one-year cycle of readings, and celebrates saints that the ordinary form does not, for a various number of reasons. The latter uses a three-year cycle of readings, and so on. Controversy probably inevitably ensues. I never really thought much of it.

Recently, I've begun attending the extraordinary form of the Mass more, due to practical considerations: the time of the Mass (6pm) is very convenient for a working lady. The Mass becomes more and more fascinating the older I become and the deeper my understanding. The reality and immensity of the Sacrifice of the Cross is more and more vividly brought home. Hence, if I can get to daily Mass and if I'm not feeling particularly lazy/exhausted on a given day (which I do feel on many days), I'll go - and I go to the extraordinary form, for the reason mentioned above.

There is no animosity within me towards the extraordinary form of the Mass - or to its attendees, which would necessarily include myself. Speaking from an unstudied stance, I can only say that I find the disparity of the liturgical calendars to be deeply disturbing. I don't want to spend my time comparing calendars (today, incidentally, both the new and the old liturgical calendars are celebrating St. Teresa of Avila), or entering into one liturgical rhythm on one day only to fall into another on the next. That HURTS.

One of the four marks of the Church is its oneness, its unity. But the disunity of the liturgical calendars within the same rite seems to be contrary to the unity of the Church. I'm not saying every rite must share the same calendar - but just that it seems fitting that a rite should.

I feel sort of like how I imagine a (rational, self-conscious, yadda yadda) puppy would feel if you say "BAD DOG!" and then feed it a treat. Conflicting signals ain't good for my devotional life, yo!

Thoughts? Insights? Haaaalp!

No comments: