Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Medium: Comics, Web


Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.
-Flannery O'Connor
For webcomics I follow the principle: if the first 10 pages don't snag the imagination, do thou it eschew. Many are the webcomics I've eschewed. You can tell a lot about a comic in the first 10 pages. Is the heroine a princess from a war-wracked planet, who was hidden on earth during infancy and is ignorant of her lineage? Check. Throw away. Is the hero a fumbling knight/hero who has yet to soar to his true potential but is dogged by a bazillion girls with skillz and a sarcastic exterior but a warm chocolaty center? Check. Throw it away. OMG. IS IT UTTERLY KAWAAAAAIIIIII!?!?!?!?! Or does it involve a humble girl suddenly befriended by POWERFUL BEINGS?!?!?! Maybe even...ALIENS!?!?! Caught in a LIFE OR DEATH STRUGGLE FOR SURVIVAL!!?!?!!?

Throw. Away. Sheesh.

It's sad, but there are about 3-20 good webcomics per 200 bad ones (and by "bad" I don't mean the work of an immature artist/writer, but bad in terms of plot and character - XKCD has stick-figures, but it's still a good comic) and finding the good ones can be depressing. So, I've done the job for you!

Here are some webcomics worth checking out:

Dr. McNinja - pure awesome.
Hark! A Vagrant! - also pure awesome. With history.
Lackadaisy Cats - truly brilliant.
Star Drop - also truly brilliant
Girl Genius - steampunk, girl-genius, etc.

No comments: