Thursday, January 20, 2011

Food & Boyfriends

There is a pizza and kebab place a few blocks away from where I live. It was run by a trio of brothers: Paolo, Amad, and Meshi. It is now run only by Paolo and Meshi as Amad is off studying.

The owners feel very fraternally towards me and another lay student, who I'll call E, and tend to be Extra Generous when it comes to stuffing a kebab full of meat or the slice of pizza they cut.

Meshi and Paolo are always sad that I am not out partying and think I'm too serious. They spend the moments that I am there trying to convince me to get a boyfriend and not study as much.

Meshi: Deirdre! How are you?
Me: HUNGRY! And tired.
Meshi: Why are you tired?
Me: Oh. Studying.
Meshi: You should not be studying so much and go out with your boyfriend!
Me: I don't have a boyfriend.
Meshi (in his mind - STILL!?!?): Deirdreeee... You need to have (pleadingly) At Least ONE Italian Boyfriend!
Me: I have no time for that!
Meshi (hopefully): I know a nice guy who loves to party all night! You could meet him...
Me: No, no! Thanks. I don't have time!

Next week...
Meshi: Deirdre! How are you?
Me: HUNGRY! And tired.
Meshi: You need to stop studying so much.
Me: Soon, soon - when I'm finished.
Meshi (accusingly): And when will you get a boyfriend!?
Me: Uh...

Next week... Rinse and repeat.

This "telling me not to study" thing is really popular, though. One of my friends from Africa came up to me as I was reading and told me:

"Deirdre. You should not be reading so much. Your head - iz very small." *illustrates the size of my head with his hands* "Put too much in it, and you will get confused." *spreads his hands apart and shrugs helplessly*

I smiled and nonchalantly leaned over the cover of the book I was reading: "BULLETS FOR THE BRIDEGROOM." (The cover on my book was not as cool, as this, but...).

No comments: