Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius

At Mass tonight, there was an odd translation of the following lines from Adoro Te Devote:

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
Nil hoc verbo veritátis verius.

Seeing, touching, tasting are in thee deceived:
How says trusty hearing? that shall be believed;
What God’s Son has told me, take for truth I do;
Truth himself speaks truly or there’s nothing true.

It's not an accurate translation, perhaps, but it does express the profound - if there is no truth in what Christ says and offers (Himself), then there is nothing true nor can the possibility of truth even exist. Or, to put it less strongly but equally persuasively, there is little worth believing. 

Such is an attraction of Catholicism for me: it is worth believing. But I want to believe. I do not want to believe that man is fundamentally opposed to his brother and the world, solitary, and angry. I do not want to believe that we cannot know the truth of things. I do not want to believe that, ultimately, whether we kick or kiss someone amounts to much the same thing.


It is only through Christ that the world acquires meaning and redemption.

Also, this is pretty much my approach to cooking:

No comments: