Thursday, March 09, 2017

Young Boll Weevils

Oscar Wilde is credited with saying: "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Beware. Quotes should be put into context if you're using them to bolster some thesis. Wilde also wrote "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." It's actually Dorian, the bad guy, who mouths the words. Are you really going to take an maniac as a basis for argument, rhetorical or otherwise? But, I'm not using the above quote as a basis for argument because 1. I don't know where it's from and 2. I disagree with its import. Constancy is highly exciting in ladders, friends, and people in general. Perhaps Wilde never had to deal with an inconstant plumber who airily tra-las: "but don't you see, old chap - constancy is so unimaginative! I prefer to surprise my customers."

However, I've often sort of twisted the quote in my head to "swearing is the last refuge of the unimaginative." I don't mean the sort of swearing that happens when you glance at the rear-view mirror of your UHAUL truck and find its back is open and suitcases are flying out while other drivers try frantically to dodge them and you drop an "OH SH**!!!" or ten. I don't mean the sort of swearing that men/women do when around their own sex necessarily). I don't mean the sort of absent-minded swearing many people do now and then.

I do mean the sort of swearing that's become so integrated into a way of being that a person can no longer but swear and uses it to express emotions, insult others, and chat about the weather. It's not...interesting.

Compare:
What a little sh*t ------ frightful young excrescence/pestilential poop/unbalanced young boll weevil.

No comments: